Friday, December 20, 2013

Portland Museum of Art

Portland Museum of Art


Unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of the Museum itself, so credit where credit is due.

Similar to the situation with the McLellen house I wasn't able to enter the museum this day, but that doesn't detract from the visit fore I've visited it a few times in the past. It's a very plain building on the outside, brick walls and metal fences. Occasionally you'll find a window or a courtyard filled with art, statues, and sculptures galore. In fact I work with Professor Diluzio on a regular basis, ( I know weird that a computer science student would work with an art professor) and he recently had an exhibit at the museum.

The museum was originally just a society of artists and local historians called the Portland Society of Art, attempting to preserve local work. When Margaret Jane Mussey Sweat, ( a devoted member of the society) donated her house place of residence known as the McLellen house to the society they began acquiring funds to build a permanent museum. Once the funds were acquired they had architect John Calvin Stevens design the building itself. Once it was built it opened to the public in 1918.

Every year the museum seems to grow. Maine has a past of artists moving here in an attempt to escape the modernist cities, for something simpler and closer to nature. Because of this there has been no lack of exhibits for them to display. The museum also contains art from around the world. The museum hosts a Biennial where artists from around the world come to display and observe each other's art exhibits.

While I may not be a huge fan of visiting art museums myself, that doesn't detract from my respect for them. They serve a vital role in preserving and displaying local and international art for the local populace. And doing so in a safe and preserved environment.

Every now and then I'll stop into the museum to see what's going on. No one would debate me when I say that Portland is definitely an artsy city. Which I think is why the museum fits in so well, not only does it contain art, but the city it's in arguably is art.

No comments:

Post a Comment